Jan van Riebeeck , founder of Cape Town initiated an inland discovery expedition under the leadership of Pieter Cruythoff. They set off in the direction of Paardeberg and on 3 February 1661 they ascended a lonely mountain and came upon the fertile vista of the Riebeek Valley. In Cruythoff’s diary the following was penned: in 4 February 1661 Ons coers oost genoemen over den rugh ter syden Riebeeks-Kasteel, twelk is een berg bij ons so genaemt, Quamem wij in een schoone valey aan de oostsyde van Riebeeks-Casteel. Daar wij bleven rusten. Denselven dagh hebben wij 13 paerden gesien en 5 regnosters en duysenden van hartbeesten."
Since the 1700, inland extensive farming expanded at a fast rate and the farm Kloovenburg was given to Jan Bothma on the 26th of September 1704 by the then Govenor W.A van der Stel. The farm land given was a 60 acres 160 sq. meter property and situated in the distrik Drakenstein, east of Riebeeck –Kasteel.
By applying for a hunting and grazing permit, the surrounding area could also been use and as Jan Bothma already was an estabelished wine farmer from Welgevalle, Stellenbosch and he used the farm for livestock. The old towpath from Cape Town to Roodezand used over Bothmaskloof went through the mountain pass at Jan Bothma’s farm.
Wouter de Vos, boer van Libertas buys the farm from Jan Botma estate (t.No. 1612 7/9/1724).
Willem Vos becomes the 3rd owner (t.No. 1716 29/1/1726) 1733
Hendrik Heufke buys the farm. (tNo. 2103 3/2/1733)
Pieter van Dijk buys the farm from Heufke. (t.No.2455 23/7/1739)
De Villiers buys the farm (t.No. 5281 30/8/1780) On 20/2/1795 the farm is reallocated to him according to the constitution S.Q.E.4/53 On 11/2/1797 a piece of land 8 morgan 544 sq meter is transferred to J.M. Blignaut (t.No. 57) After the death of J. de Villiers his wife Anna Blignaut inherited the farm and remarried Jeremias Petrus Coetzer
The surrounding area of Kloovenburg, earlier used as hunting and pasture by permit only gets offered to Jeremias Petrus Coetzer for sixty nine Rijksdaalders strictly payable every twelthed month and this area got named Bothmaskloof.
Jeremias Petrus Coetzer inherits Kloovenburg from his wife (t.No. 79 22/8/1823) He buys Botmaskloof, size 2116 morgean 590 sq. meter from the state at 38,000 Cape currency. He sells the following areas of the farm later to N. Walters (t.No. 81 19/8/1836) 299 morgan 117 sq. meters and to F.F. le Roux (t.No. 120 28/2/1837) 681 morgan 405 sq. meters.
Daniël Servaas le Roux buys the remaining land of 1172 morgan 275 sq. meters from the insolvent estate of F.B. Coetzer for R1 176 (t.No. 125 28/2/1837). He sells another area of 162 morgan, 476 sq meters to F.F. le Roux (t.No. 423 25/10/1861).
Jacob de Villiers Louw buys the 1009 morgan 399 sq meters on a public auction for R2 500 (t.No. 151 8/11/1864). The farm then was already planted with 50 000 grapevines and had its own cellar.
Daniël Gideon Hugo buys the farm for R4 060 (t.No. 43 3/2/1870). He passed away during harvest on the 25/2/1885 at the age of 38.His wife inherits the farm, (t.No. 266 27/10/1886)
Johannes Daniël Malan marries M.M. du Toit, widow of D.B. Hugo in community of property and becomes co- owner of Kloovenburg.
Petrus Jacobus Hugo, son of D.B. Hugo buys the farm from the community of property Malan-estate for R10 000 (t.No. 11517 22/12/1913).
George Johannes Euvrard buys the farm from his brother –in- law B.F. Hugo, with a small piece of 6 morgan not included. On 16/8/1930 he buys 45 morgan 15 sq meters mountain area from the state (t.No. 124/1930), and named it Botmaskloof Annexe.
Daniël Gideon Euvrard buys the farm from his father’s estate for R18 000, (t.No. 6087 2/7/1936) and sells various pieces of Kloovenburg to different owners.
As followed:1937 Dagbreek 106,6199 morgan Morester Annexe 40,0840 morgan Waterbron 85,0440 morgan, Voortrekkker 90,0866 morgan Ebenhaezer 91,5105 morgan. 1940 Welgevonden 49,3689 morgan. 1945 Two other areas of 203,359 morgan.
Pieter Stephanus du Toit buys Kloovenburg 382 morgan on a public auction from the insolvent estate of D.G. Euvrard for R59 000. The various areas of Kloovenburg were Kloovenburg 35,0056 morgan, Botmaskloof 301,7601 morgan en Botmaskloof Annexe 45 morgan 15sq. meters.
Pieter Stephanus du Toit passed away on the 26/2/1997 and his son the current owner Pieter Stephanus inherits.